Not all water is Created Equal


When I ask folks what they need in order to stay alive. Water is always at the top of the list, but if I ask that same person how much water they drink I get lots of different answers. Some say “not enough”, others say, “when I drink a lot all I do is pee”, and others say things like, “I get swollen and puffy when I drink water”. The last two are indicators that you’re not drinking the right water. You will understand what I'm talking by the end.

We Are Made of Water As we learned in our 7th grade biology class, our bodies are made up of mostly water. It varies with everyone, but on average an adult male is made up of about 65% water, in adult females, who have more fat on average the percentage is about 60%. A further breakdown by H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%, and even our bones are watery at 31%. Water has many functions in the body, but the main function water has is to create and maintain a stable environment in and out of the cell.

Yes Salt Look in any chemistry, physiology, biology, or anatomy book and they will all say that sodium is vital to life. And it is. Salt is the main transport system for a ton of nutrients, including water, in and out of the cell. But in order to get salt into our bodies we need to do so how nature intended. Sea Salt!

We've all heard horror stories about salt. We hear them so often that people have stopped using salt altogether. WE NEED SALT!!! All of the scary stories about salt come from what I, and most everybody else, call table salt. It is the bleached sodium chloride(NaCl) that most of you have on your table or in your pantry right now. Table salt is 98% NaCl and is very harsh on the body. The other 2% is made up of iron, calcium, aluminum, and strontium. Really!? Aluminum? Yes! Celtic Sea salt on the other hand is only 78% NaCl and has 81 other minerals in it. Those other minerals are all used to preform important functions in the body. There are other sea salts out there all of which are great. I recommend to all of my clients that they go buy a good quality sea salt and use it for cooking and in there water. By adding a tiny pinch of sea salt to every ounce of water you drink you give your body the materials to use the water you’re putting in your mouth. If you only do that, I promise your body and bladder will thank you.

Here’s a little tip: If you can taste the salt you've added too much. You don't want to drinking ocean water...

How much water should you drink? So now that we got the transport system taken care of and the water we put into our months has what it needs to get into our cells. How much should we drink? Easy one; you should consume half your body weight in ounces per day more if you're doing strenuous work. (Example: If you are 200lbs divide 200 by 2 you get 100. You should drink 100 ounces of water a day.)

Not all water is created equal

Only with a Lifestraw...

Now we know how much to drink, where should we be getting our water from. Pollution is our enemy and we did it to ourselves. 90% of the developing world’s waste water is dumped untreated into rivers. The EPA monitors for hundreds of chemicals in our water and, that would be fine if there weren’t more than 30,000 possible pollutants… Sadly this includes well water. So what can you do? Well if you have about $2000.00 just laying around you can put in a whole house water filtration system. Otherwise there are some simple steps to take. First and probably the easiest is to buy bottled water, do your research! I can recommend Fiji water. If you don’t want to spend $3.50USD for a liter of water than you can just get a good water filter. There are many on the market ranging anywhere from $20USD to $200USD.

Always remember when buying anything DO THE RESEARCH. There is tons of snake oil out there, so be deliberate, and remember no matter where you’re getting your water just add a pinch of sea salt to it.

Just a couple more tips about your water. • Try to keep your water in glass, If that is not an option make sure the plastic bottle you use is not old and cloudy, as the toxins will leech into the water. Also keep that bottle out of the direct sunlight, that too will breakdown the plastics contaminate your water • Drink water at room temperature. If the water is cold it will just sit in your stomach until your body warms it up.

I wanted to keep this one a little shorter so

Thanks for reading


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

© 2016 by 108 Athletics LLC.

Tel: 760-542-8486

Email: info@108Athletics.com​
 

Contact Us:
Talk to Us:

Location: 245 Emerald Dr. Vista, CA 92083

  • Twitter Clean

Facebook

Twitter